February - the month of love! Cupid's bow, love hearts and romantic cards on every street corner, in every shop window.
Promotions telling you to show your love with a delicious box of chocolates or to buy your loved one the newest tech gadget.
I've never been a big fan of Valentine's Day; it's always felt too commercial and elitist. Lucky for me then, that my best friend's birthday is on 14th February and the day has always passed celebrating with her instead. So when she moved abroad a few years ago I was faced with my first Valentine's Day for real. My initial reaction was 'oh god I need to make a plan': call my sisters, or organise a singles dinner, something to show myself that I wasn't alone on this holiday.
Then I realised how silly I was being. I was buying into something I didn't even believe in, simply because it was what society was telling me to think. Valentine's Day is about celebrating the relationships in our life. But the most important relationship we will ever have, is the one with ourselves. And it is also the relationship that we most undervalue, neglect and abuse. So instead of celebrating romantic love, I decided to use it as a day to show myself just how much I appreciate, value and love ME. Because, it's not something that we tend to do enough.
With this in mind, I have decided to dedicated the month of February to Self Love. Each week I will be sharing practices that bring more love, compassion and kindness towards ourself. And all of my public classes will be themed on Self Love. I even have my Self Love Workshop this afternoon!
To kick it all off, below are my favourite Self Love quotes to inspire you to be more appreciative and grateful to your wonderful self.
1. “I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself.”
― Rita Mae Brown
2. “You can be the most beautiful person in the world and everybody sees light and rainbows when they look at you, but if you yourself don't know it, all of that doesn't even matter. Every second that you spend on doubting your worth, every moment that you use to criticize yourself; is a second of your life wasted, is a moment of your life thrown away. It's not like you have forever, so don't waste any of your seconds, don't throw even one of your moments away.”
― C. JoyBell C.
3. “how you love yourself is
how you teach others
to love you”
― Rupi Kaur
4. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
5. “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”
― Fred Rogers
6. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.”
― Brené Brown
7. “Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself – no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are – completely; the good and the bad – and make changes as YOU see fit – not because you think someone else wants you to be different.”
― Stacey Charter
8. “No other love no matter how genuine it is, can fulfill one’s heart better than unconditional self-love.”
― Edmond Mbiaka
9. “Loving yourself isn’t vanity. It’s sanity.”
― Katrina Mayer
10. “You have been criticising yourself for years, and it hasn't worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.”
― Louise L. Hay
11. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
12. “The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours – it is an amazing journey – and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.”
― Bob Moawad
13. “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”
― Oscar Wilde
14. “To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.”
― Sandra Bierig
If any of these resonate with you or inspire self compassion, then write them down, in a notebook, on a sticky note, your phone. Read them. Journal on them. Think on them. Believe them. Start your day by reading some quotes and begin the lifelong love affair that brings the richest fulfillment from the inside out.
Do you have any quotes that you love? Please share them with me.
Much love, as always
Join Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.